Sunday, March 16, 2008

Cranberry Clearing


It's been a little over a month since I last racked the cranberry wines off the gross lees. On Saturday, I went down to the wine cellar for another reason, but was struck by the different rates at which my Cranberry-Niagra and Cranberry-Banana wines are clearing. During the last racking in February, the Cranberry-Banana had won the prize for the most sediment, so I wasn't overly surprised to see how much clearer it was. However, that wine is almost crystal clear. The picture on the right shows how clear it is (carboy on the right). The Cranberry-Niagra (on the left in the picture) had dropped a lot of sediment in the past month, but still has a long way to go.

I was expecting this difference, as banana wines are known for their fast clearing rates. However I've never seen this in person until these wines.

Salute,
a Wine Student

Prior Cranberry 2008 posts:
Starting the Body Experiment
Fermentation Almost Done
Racked the Cranberry-Grape
Racked the Cranberry-Banana
Racking off the Gross Lees

No comments: