Thursday, May 15, 2008

Hidden Lake Cellars Sauvignon Blanc 2006

It accorded to me earlier this week that I haven't spent a lot of time describing the results of my previous winemaking trials in this blog. Allow me to correct that deficiency with a review of one of my favorite white wines that I made in 2006 during my Hidden Lake Cellars days.

Hidden Lake Cellars Sauvignon Blanc 2006
Country of origin: USA
Region:
California
Appellation: Central Valley
Stats: 11.5% ABV, dry (RS = 500 ppm), pH = 3.56, TA = 0.85%, 75 ppm malic acid

Appearance:
Light clear yellow
Aroma: Pineapple, pears, honeysuckle (I can recognize that aroma having grown up with a honeysuckle vine outside my window), and a hint of green asparagus.
Taste:
This wine starts with a smooth fruity & floral burst with good body and a lightly buttery, tart finish.


This wine was made from CA Central Valley grape juice that I purchased from Home Winemaking in Dundee, MI. The juice was fermented with Cotes de Blanc (Epernay 2) yeast over 13 days. After clearing for 3 months, I had to add some chitosan to help clarify the wine. I did not add anything to expressly prevent malolactic fermentation from happening after bottling other potassium metabisulfite. A year later, I think the wine is beginning to undergo spontaneous ML fermentation in the bottle, resulting in a slight effervescence and light buttery taste. Fortunately, I only have 5 bottles left. If my faithful readers have a bottle on hand, I'd suggest drinking within the next 3-6 months. Spring is a perfect time to enjoy this wine!

Salute!
a Wine Student

p.s. I took this wine to a Christmas Party that we were invited to shortly after moving into our new house in Westford, MA. Big hit!! And my wife likes it, so I think this was a winner!

No comments: